[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mounting smb IN OI

Yuri Pankov yuri.pankov at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 22:35:33 UTC 2012

On Sat, 07 Jul 2012 22:06:08 +0100, michelle wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm used to sharing from OI and mounting them on Linux/Windows boxes,
> but now I'm having to do things the other way around.
>
> I have some external NAS boxes, over which I don't have too much control.
>
> I need to tell OI to mount the SMB shares so that I can then transfer
> files to them, but I'm obviously not getting the syntax right.
>
> Let's say that the NAS is on "192.168.0.100", that the share is named
> "nasshare" and that authentication is by user name, "myuser" and
> password "mypassword" - how would you construct the command?
>
> I have a feeling that the standard "mount" command won't do this, and
> that I need to load another service, and probably somehow get the system
> to ensure that this service is loaded on each boot.
>
> I'd be grateful for any help on this.
It should be pretty straightforward, e.g. the following works for me:
sirius:root:~# svcadm enable -s idmap
sirius:root:~# svcadm enable -s smb/client
sirius:root:~# mount -F smbfs //yuri at altair/Videos /mnt
Password:

And now I can browse the CIFS share mount on /mnt...

Take a look at nsmbrc(4) to automate things a bit.

HTH