[OpenIndiana-discuss] Seagate ST3000DM001

Ray Arachelian ray at arachelian.com
Thu Jul 12 10:06:50 UTC 2012

On 07/11/2012 08:21 PM, Reginald Beardsley wrote:

> Newegg sent me a 10% coupon that will result in a 3 TB drive at my door for $135.  They track what you look at and if you don't buy right away will offer enticements a few days later.

I bought 4 of these a couple of weeks ago.  :) Oh well.

One thing I noticed is that the stuff they have great deals on, are the
same that have high failure rates in the feedback and show some have had
a DOA rate of about 50%.  So far so good with mine, but it's too early
to know for sure.  I'm running format-analyze-read in a loop and it's
taking a very long time.  Mine are in a USB enclosure, and the default
was to create a ashift=9, so I ran the special version of the zpool
command to force ashift=12.  So far so good, but hopefully they'll last
more than a year.