[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help, please! Starting to use postfix in an OI151_a5 environment, from scratch

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Mon Jul 16 11:58:04 UTC 2012

I am in the process of starting up a mailserver for about a thousand
mail users.

This is on an OI151_a5 server.

I will use postfix, dovecot and spamassassin, possibly clamav.

I am right now doing a test setup, sort of a proof of concept.

My problem is that all the documentation for dovecot and postfix is NOT
very specific to an OI installation, so I need some help in understanding
where OI differs from what postfix and dovecot docs assume.

Today's first question: OI has the SMF stuff: this confuses some issues.
I assume I'm first supposed to configure the various params for postfix,
like myhostname, myorigin, mydomain plus many more.

Then I'm supposing I should do

# svcadm disable sendmail
# svcadm enable postfix

(consider "# " as the root prompt)

Is this correct?

Will this do postfix start for me, and will "svcadm refresh postfix" (or
restart) do postfix reload?

Anything else you might want to add as advice for me at this point?

I'm basically trying to do the simple single domain server as in Chapter
3 in The Book Of Postfix by Hildebrandt and Koetter.