[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help, please! Starting to use postfix in an OI151_a5 environment, from scratch

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Mon Jul 16 12:31:40 UTC 2012

Hans,

You have the basics right.  The problem is that there is no clean way to
replace sendmail in OI yet.  When you install postfix, it will overwrite
/usr/lib/sendmail.  I actually have two replacements for sendmail, I use
Qmail for non-authorized access on port 25 because of it's superior spam
capabilities using the spamdyke front-end.  I do have spamassassin on
the backend to catch the few emails that get through, but that requires
a patched version of Qmail.  I use Postfix for authorized access on port
587 (submission) for users which has no spam checking and allows relaying.

BTW, the only bad thing about using Qmail this way is that it rejects
mail to non-existent users later on in the process using a bounce
message. This opens the door for backscatter spam (using the bounce to
send spam). Spamdyke reduces this possibility, but hasn't implemented a
true block for this (reject bad users before accepting mail) yet. This
is in the works.

What I do is to take the time to backup the /usr/lib/sendmail for all
three programs and then do a symbolic link to the one needed (in my case
it's postfix).  The reason I do this is that, since sendmail is part of
the consolidation, this binary is sometimes overwritten when you upgrade
OI.  There is a plan somewhere to handle wholesale replacement of
sendmail with another MTA better, but I don't know what the current
state is.

Besides disabling sendmail, you need to disable sendmail-client as
well.  The refresh on postfix should cause it to reload the
configuration file.

As for dovecot (and qmail), I've been using that for so long (starting
with SunOS), that I always compiled and installed it myself.  Some day
I'll replace dovecot with the SFE version, but I'm in no rush.

Gary