[OpenIndiana-discuss] iostat -E and Illegal Request count

Marco van Lienen marco+openindiana-discuss at lordsith.net
Wed Jul 18 21:03:06 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:51:01AM -0500, you (Bob Friesenhahn) sent the following to [openindiana-discuss] :
> On my system, 'iostat -E' is reporting an increasing 'Illegal
> Request' count for SATA drives.  I have one drive which is up to a
> count of 10705 which is now incrementing at a rate of 12 per minute:
>
> Vendor: ATA      Product: WDC WD5003ABYX-0 Revision: 1S02 Serial No: WD-WMAYP3661514
> Size: 500.11GB <500107862016 bytes>
> Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
> Illegal Request: 10705 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
>
> The issue is not specific to this one drive because I have another
> drive from a different vendor with an increasing count.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this in the output of 'iostat -E' for SATA
> drives on their system?

The highest number of 'Illegal Request' I'm seeing is 19 and that's for an external wd (WD green SATA disk in an external USB-enclosure which isn't always 'ready' due to spin-down)
This is on oi_151a5.

Vendor: WD       Product: 15EARS External  Revision: 1.75 Serial No: WD-WMAVU1092701
Size: 1500.30GB <1500301910016 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 19 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

--
Marco van Lienen -- GnuPG key: 8580E6CB
http://lordsith.net/ | OpenIndiana oi_151a5