[OpenIndiana-discuss] iostat -E and Illegal Request count

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Jul 18 16:51:01 UTC 2012

On my system, 'iostat -E' is reporting an increasing 'Illegal Request'
count for SATA drives.  I have one drive which is up to a count of
10705 which is now incrementing at a rate of 12 per minute:

Vendor: ATA      Product: WDC WD5003ABYX-0 Revision: 1S02 Serial No: WD-WMAYP3661514
Size: 500.11GB <500107862016 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 10705 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

The issue is not specific to this one drive because I have another
drive from a different vendor with an increasing count.

Is anyone else seeing this in the output of 'iostat -E' for SATA
drives on their system?

A trace from scsi.d is now showing illegal request responses to the OS
background status polling.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn