[OpenIndiana-discuss] Virtualisation in OI 151

Lou Picciano loupicciano at comcast.net
Thu Jul 19 14:22:10 UTC 2012

John,

Zones are a great solution to the model you're proposing. You can get tremendous execution and privilege isolation using zones - they are lightweight and very high-performance.

In addition, much work has been done lately on KVM - which would be the way to go if you wish to virtualize non-OI OSes. It can run _within_ a zone, and interacts nicely with fundamental OpenIndiana/illumos features, like CrossBow and ZFS. Specifically, you'll want to run OI 151_a5 to get the latest and greatest here.

Though there had been a linux-branded zone back in the OpenSolaris days, development of zone branding has not continued... KVM may get you all you need.

Lou Picciano