[OpenIndiana-discuss] in desperate need of fsck.zfs

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 16:35:28 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:03 AM, Ray Arachelian <ray at arachelian.com> wrote:
> I do want to upgrade from the current motherboard to something newer
> since it's got a 4G limit.  I do have some left over DDR3 DIMMs, so I'd
> be looking for a new mobo/CPU that would work with DDR3 and have loads
> of SATA, PCI/PCIe slots.  I also picked up an LSI Logic SAS controller a
> while ago and want to try using that and moving the drives internally,
> or going over eSATA instead.
>
> Motherboard recommendations are welcome. :)

For my home NAS I am using a an ASUS E35M1-I, and I've been rather
happy. I liked the price (~$150 gets you CPU + mobo + 8GB RAM).
6xSATA3, but only 1xPCIe.

I use the "server" edition of OI 151, so I don't know if things like
video card or sound card work. The network works, USB (not sure if
3.0) works, SATA ports work (again, not sure if they're running at
SATA3 speed).

Looking back, I don't think there is anything better you can get south
of $200 (there are two dozen AMD E-350/450 boards out there - pick the
cheapest one with 6 SATA slots). However, if I were buying again, I'd
save up and go for something with ECC RAM - I don't like how my HDDs
are in RAIDZ2 with sha checksums, but my memory is completely at the
mercy of the elements.

Jan