[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cannot _init zfs module after upgrade

Andreas Stenius andreas.stenius at astekk.se
Sun Jul 29 12:41:26 UTC 2012

Hi,

I got this same issue when upgrading to oi151a4 (and still have it for
a5 as well).

I'm running OI as a KVM guest on a Proxmox system, and after some
fiddling, I was able to capture to boot messages:

module /platform/i86pc/kernel/amd64/unix: text at [0xfffffffffb800000,
0xfffffffffb964f3b] data at 0xfffffffffbc00000
module /kernel/amd64/genunix: text at [0xfffffffffb964f40,
0xfffffffffbbec58f] data at 0xfffffffffbc95440
OpenIndiana Build oi_151a3 64-bit (illumos 022f1af9e21c)
SunOS Release 5.11 - Copyright 1983-2010 Oracle and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved. Use is subject to license terms.
x86_feature: lgpg
x86_feature: tsc
x86_feature: msr
x86_feature: mtrr
x86_feature: pge
x86_feature: de
x86_feature: cmov
x86_feature: mmx
x86_feature: mca
x86_feature: pae
x86_feature: cv8
x86_feature: pat
x86_feature: sse
x86_feature: sse2
x86_feature: asysc
x86_feature: nx
x86_feature: sse3
x86_feature: cx16
x86_feature: cmp
x86_feature: cpuid
x86_feature: ssse3
x86_feature: clfsh
x86_feature: 64
mem = 8388212K (0x1fff9d000)
SMBIOS v2.4 loaded (616 bytes)initialized model-specific module
'cpu_ms.GenuineIntel' on chip 0 core 0 strand 0
root nexus = i86pc
pseudo0 at root
pseudo0 is /pseudo
scsi_vhci0 at root
scsi_vhci0 is /scsi_vhci
Reading Intel IOMMU boot options
pci0 at root: space 0 offset 0
pci0 is /pci at 0,0
PCI-device: isa at 1, isa0
/kernel/fs/amd64/zfs: undefined symbol 'fnvlist_alloc'
/kernel/fs/amd64/zfs: undefined symbol 'fnvlist_add_nvlist'
/kernel/fs/amd64/zfs: undefined symbol 'fnvlist_free'
/kernel/fs/amd64/zfs: undefined symbol 'vmem_qcache_reap'
/kernel/fs/amd64/zfs: undefined symbol 'fnvlist_add_boolean'
WARNING: mod_load: cannot load module 'zfs'

panic[cpu0]/thread=fffffffffbc2f260: Cannot _init zfs module

Warning - stack not written to the dump buffer
fffffffffbc718e0 genunix:rootconf+1a8 ()
fffffffffbc71920 genunix:vfs_mountroot+63 ()
fffffffffbc71950 genunix:main+136 ()
fffffffffbc71960 unix:_locore_start+90 ()

skipping system dump - no dump device configured
rebooting...

Since I'm running this on a qemu-kvm system, there should be good
options for debugging the boot, if needed (although I'm not an
experienced qemu user, nor at debugging boot-ups).

I join Ryan in asking for how to solve this...

//Andreas