[OpenIndiana-discuss] Using Extended Attributes with Samba

Henner Gratz hpg at uni-bremen.de
Tue Jul 31 15:10:25 UTC 2012

Hello!

I've configured a Samba PDC on one of my Openindiana machines and use it
as a profile
and home share server for a PC-lab with Windows 7 clients. But
unfortunately Windows 7
doesn't process the desktop.ini files in the directories on the server
because of the
missing System-attribute.

So I changed the configuration of the homes-share in smb.conf to:

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    csc policy = disable
;   hide files = /desktop.ini/$RECYCLE.BIN/
    ea support = yes
    store dos attributes = yes
    writable = yes
    public = no

and set the System-attribute of the directories with "chmod S+cS *".
Unfortunately
this hasn't changed anything. Windows still doesn't see the extended
attributes.

Was this done by someone with more success before? Any hints are very
appreciated.

Thank you very much for your help in advance

     Henner