[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS restore from snapshot

Mike La Spina mike.laspina at laspina.ca
Sun Jun 3 12:35:05 UTC 2012

I would suggest you run a zpool scrub.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Heyl [mailto:jay at frelled.us]
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2012 11:15 PM
To: Discussion list for OpenIndiana
Subject: [OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS restore from snapshot

I have a file that shows as corrupted in the live file system and two
snapshots. The file gives every indication of being valid in earlier
snapshots. I've tried to restore it from the good snapshot but it
doesn't seem to want to take. After several failed attempts to copy
directly from the snapshot, I copied from the snapshot to my home
directory. That copy appears to be good. (It's an image file and the
image comes up fine.) I've deleted the file from the live directory and
it seems to disappear. But every time I copy the file from my home
directory into the target directory, the target directory copy appears
corrupted.

With most other file systems I'd suspect this indicates a problem with
the directory rather than with the actual file, but I don't know enough
about zfs to judge whether this makes sense or not.

Any ideas what might be going on with this file and how I can get it
restored from the good snapshot?

The other odd thing, not directly related to getting it restored, is
that neither the file nor the directory it's in has been purposely
changed since the time of the good snapshot. Obviously something changed
or there wouldn't be any difference between the live version and the
snapshot, but I'm bewildered about how it might have happened.