[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS restore from snapshot

Jay Heyl jay at frelled.us
Sun Jun 3 04:14:32 UTC 2012

I have a file that shows as corrupted in the live file system and two
snapshots. The file gives every indication of being valid in earlier
snapshots. I've tried to restore it from the good snapshot but it doesn't
seem to want to take. After several failed attempts to copy directly from
the snapshot, I copied from the snapshot to my home directory. That copy
appears to be good. (It's an image file and the image comes up fine.) I've
deleted the file from the live directory and it seems to disappear. But
every time I copy the file from my home directory into the target
directory, the target directory copy appears corrupted.

With most other file systems I'd suspect this indicates a problem with the
directory rather than with the actual file, but I don't know enough about
zfs to judge whether this makes sense or not.

Any ideas what might be going on with this file and how I can get it
restored from the good snapshot?

The other odd thing, not directly related to getting it restored, is that
neither the file nor the directory it's in has been purposely changed since
the time of the good snapshot. Obviously something changed or there
wouldn't be any difference between the live version and the snapshot, but
I'm bewildered about how it might have happened.