[OpenIndiana-discuss] problems with permissions on smb share

Jan Owoc jsowoc at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 22:20:09 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've been using OpenIndiana151 for a home file server for several
months now with good success, but am running into a curious problem.
When I copy a file from Windows to the smb share, I can do whatever I
want with it (rename, delete, etc.). However, if I move the file
(using Windows) from one folder on the share to a different folder on
the same share, all permissions disappear (i.e. no one has permission
to do anything until I ssh into the box and run a chmod).

I'm familiar with how ACLs work under GNU/Linux. I read the chapter on
OpenSolaris ACLs in the "Solaris ZFS Administration Guide", but it
merely enumerates all 99 possible options, rather than tell me what I
should have my ACLs set to.

As this is a home NAS, there is one user, and I'd like this user to
have permission to do anything on that particular share (there's an
autosnapshot process that prevents accidents). I'd also like these
permissions to extend to any created/moved/renamed files. Any
suggestions?

Jan

P.S. Additional (maybe useful?) information:

root at openindiana:~# zfs get aclinherit tankz2
NAME    PROPERTY    VALUE          SOURCE
tankz2  aclinherit  restricted     default
root at openindiana:~# /bin/ls -V /tankz2/scratch
total 11314255
drwx------+  2 oi       other          5 Jun  2 14:17 foto-dvdisaster
                user:oi:rwxpdDaARWcCos:-------:allow
       group:2147483648:rwxpdDaARWcCos:-------:allow