[OpenIndiana-discuss] How do I get OpenIndana's make (not gmake) to accept the following

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:03:56 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Richard Sharpe
<realrichardsharpe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Milan Jurik <milan.jurik at xylab.cz> wrote:
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> Richard Sharpe píše v ne 03. 06. 2012 v 06:55 -0700:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I have figured out part of my problem with the OpenIndiana machine on
>>> the Samba build farm.
>>>
>>> It seems that the system goes not have GNU make installed or the
>>> OpenIndiana version of make is first on the path.
>>>

>> is gmake not installed? GNU make package with gmake 3.81 is
>> developer/build/gnu-make
>
> I don't know at this stage. I have to wait for the owner of the system
> to respond to me.
>
> However, I would like to find a solution that produces few surprises
> for people :-)
>
> So, if they do not have GNU make installed it should still work. I do,
> however, need to improve the comments in the existing Makefile.in so
> that people have an idea of what to do when things do not work ...

After talking to Gordon Ross about it, it seems that the Solaris make
command does not do transitive evaluation of pattern rules.

The solution is to move to a single .c.so pattern rule rather than
splitting it into two.

Also, more comments in the Makefile will help people who run into
problems building a Samba VFS module for their special case.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe