[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help installing OI 151a on IBM x366.

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Wed Jun 6 06:12:57 UTC 2012

> I am trying to install OI 151a on an IBM x366. This machine has the
> Serveraid 8i SAS backplane, with a legacy IDE DVD rom drive.
>
> The machine will boot the DVD, but then gives a stream of errors on
> pci at 0,0/pci-ide at f/edi at 0 time reset bus

Yes, I have seen the same errors on an x3655 with Solaris 10.  It is
a known problem, IBM documents it somewhere.  It went away in some
Solaris 10 Update.  Solaris 11 Express also does not have that problem.

> I've read about problems with IDE, that offered adding options to
> the command line that boots the kernel: -B
> atapi-cd-dma-enabled=0,atapi-other-dma-enabled=0

No, that does not help.  These settings are the default anyway.

> That didn't work. I also saw something about disabling
> multiprocessing with the -kd option, then entering "use_mp/W 0 :c"
> . That didn't work either.

No, nothing to do with it.

> I tried booting from a USB dvd drive. Again, that boots, but after
> it loads the kernel from the DVD, I get an error that the drive
> disappeared.
>
> I tried making a bootable USB stick, but the x366 won't both from
> the USB for some reason.

I have also not been able to boot the x3655 off a USB stick.

> Are there any other suggestions I can try ?

Use AI.  Or install to another disk on another server, then boot off
a recent-enough live CD, and build the boot disk manually, using
snapshots from the other server.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"