[OpenIndiana-discuss] intermittent network? (rge device)

ramble1035 @dslextreme.com ramble1035 at dslextreme.com
Sun Jun 17 20:15:49 UTC 2012

I've got a small PC with two rge networking interfaces (one on the
motherboard, one on a separate pcie card).  I'm seeing some
intermittently flakey behavior, where the network just stops talking.
Looking at it seems to indicate things are alive and well, and my
internal LAN switch shows a hardware connection but no activity.

This last episode, I experienced:
a completely unresponsive local net connection on rge0
ifconfig showed correct values (possibly left over from when it *was* working)
ping out got nothing
ping in got request timeouts and no route to host errors
the other network interface worked fine
netstat -r  produced (eventually) a routing table with a correct
default route, but it took a while.

a reboot produced a "failure to plumb rge0" message on the console

a physical power cycle brought everything up just fine.  It's all
currently working as expected.

Has anyone experienced intermittent network outages?  Is it possible
there are some issues with the rge driver?  Are there any things I can
try to identify an error condition and/or reset the network by hand?

Thanks -

-- C