[OpenIndiana-discuss] , The+AShift+Value+and+Advanced+Format+disks+and+ZFS

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Jun 20 10:54:59 UTC 2012

2012-06-20 12:42, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> Is the OI151 kernel going to be updated anytime soon?

I don't know - I'm also on the outside of the project core.
I think the idea was to have roughly monthly (or quarterly?)
dev-releases, and some time has passed since early May ;)

> Alternatively, if I have an OI151a4 machine running well on a SuperMicro
> machine, is there another Illumos distro I could move to w/o too much pain?

Technically yes, you can follow the How To Build Illumos
wiki page and build your own kernel from up-to-date bits,
while the rest would remain the same OI at your discretion
(you can also rebuild that according to a different manual).
You'd need to ensure that your build's number is higher
than the installed packages (described in Wiki) and wait
a while for the compilation to complete. The process is
quite straightforward, I think - I spent some time earlier
revising this wiki page in places where there was something
to elaborate on in greater detail (now seen as child pages).

HTH,
//Jim Klimov