[OpenIndiana-discuss] , The+AShift+Value+and+Advanced+Format+disks+and+ZFS

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Jun 20 13:48:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:

> Is the OI151 kernel going to be updated anytime soon?
>
> Alternatively, if I have an OI151a4 machine running well on a SuperMicro
> machine, is there another Illumos distro I could move to w/o too much pain?

OpenIndiana build 151a is indeed rather stale and not capable of
installing on some recent hardware.  Illumos has progressed quite a
lot since last September.  Illumos has recently made some significant
leaps (e.g. GCC 4.4 compilation) and perhaps OpenIndiana wants to pick
up these and make sure that it is all stable before making another
formal release.

I hope to accept delivery of a SuperMicro machine this week which
required 151a4 in order to use its network interfaces and support
audio.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn