[OpenIndiana-discuss] recognizing disks

Adam Gold awg1 at gmx.com
Sun Jun 24 14:28:22 UTC 2012

Hi there.  I'm a linux user and have recently decided to switch to OpenIndiana using a x86_64 server.  Somewhat embarrassingly I'm seem to be falling at one of the early hurdles.  My server has 1 SSD where the O/S has been successfully installed and 4 X 3TB hard drives managed by an LSI RAID controller.  I have configured the hard drives as JBOD so I can use ZFS with all its capabilities.

Having booted up for the first time I ran 'format -e' but the 4 hard drives were not detected.  Likewise when using 'cfgadm -alv' and 'devfsadm' + 'format' there was no sign of any unconfigured drives.  Just to be sure there wasn't any legacy data/meta-data I booted to a rescue disk and erased the GPT labels at the beginning and end of the 3TB disks using 'dd'.  Again no luck.

These drives have always showed up automatically under linux so I'm wondering if I'm making some very obvious starting error with the new O/S, perhaps to do with labelling (although now there really are no labels) or something.  I'm posting in the hope that this may be quickly apparent to veteran users (and apologies for the relatively trivial level of the inquiry).  Thanks in advance for any responses.