[OpenIndiana-discuss] IP-dedicated zone (OI b151a4) is not ping-able in virtualbox

Jeppe Toustrup openindiana at tenzer.dk
Tue Jun 26 18:04:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 6:23 PM, WarGrey[战斗暴龙] <juzhenliang at gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed OpenIndiana b151 in virtualbox on MacOSX, there is a zone with
> dedicated ip over e1000g1 which connecting to a host-only virtual NIC.
> Everything was okay before updating to b151a4. I could access it
> everywhere, host OS, global zone, or any other VMs whose NICs are in the
> same virtual network.
>
> However, when updating to b151a4, it is not ping-able outside the box,
> unless following command is running in the global zone:
> tcpdump -i e1000g1.

VNICs and VirtualBox doesn't go well together. The reason for this is
that VirtualBox doesn't know anything about the MAC address of the
VNIC, and thus doesn't forward traffic to that MAC address into the
virtual machine.
When you run tcpdump it will set the network interface in promiscuous
mode, which will drop the filtering of traffic intended to other
hosts, and the traffic to the zone will get through.

The best way I have found to solve this, is to create an extra network
interface in the VirtualBox configuration, and then assign that
interface to the zone instead of a VNIC. Then it will work as
expected.

--
Venlig hilsen / Kind regards
Jeppe Toustrup (aka. Tenzer)