[OpenIndiana-discuss] "shareiscsi" and COMSTAR

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Jun 27 09:55:44 UTC 2012

2012-06-27 4:51, Mike La Spina wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
>> 1) Is COMSTAR still not-integrated with shareiscsi ZFS attributes?
>>     Or can the pool use the attribute, and the correct (new COMSTAR)
>>     iSCSI target daemon will fire up?
>
> COMSTAR is not integrated with ZFS and it will ignore the ZFS props.

Well, that was the case a couple of years ago when we played with
the newly released COMSTAR. We did not know whether the progress
marched on (to integrate ZFS with COMSTAR) - hence the questions ;)

> What is the release of the old host OS?

SXCE snv_117... Well, it may be more than a couple of years :)

> I strongly suggest you record the old iqn target names and the LU's they
> are mapped to, as well the LU GUID is helpful.

Probably so, if only to check that the SMF/file-based config
migration attempt went well.

> Snapshots on zvols are your friends!

Unfortunately, they are not. The OS upgrade is part of the box's
migration to larger new drives, and so far it is very restrained
on free disk space in the pool. ZVOL snapshots reserve the zvol
size so as to guarantee the ability to rewrite the whole zvol
contents safely, and the box can not afford that much wasted
space. Ability to do these snapshots is indeed one of the many
reasons for the overall upgrade (HW+SW).

>> 2) What would be the best way to migrate iSCSI server configuration
>>     (LUs, views, allowed client lists, etc.) - is it sufficient to
>>     just export the SMF config of "stmf" service, or do I also need
>>     some other services and/or files (/etc/iscsi, something else?)
>
> This really depends on your current configuration .. can you provide
> some specifics of the existing targets/initiators?

The targets are now a few zvols on the snv_117 box, served by
COMSTAR (svc:/system/stmf:default, svc:/network/iscsi/target:default).
The service svc:/network/iscsi/initiator:default is also online,
but it was AFAIK used for testing and does not normally attach
remote LUNs.

Initiators that I know of are from free ESXi hosts, I'm uncertain
about the version.

//Jim