[OpenIndiana-discuss] IP-dedicated zone (OI b151a4) is not ping-able in virtualbox

Jim Klimov jim at cos.ru
Wed Jun 27 10:24:20 UTC 2012

2012-06-27 5:10, WarGrey Ju wrote:
> Okay, thanks for your replies.
>
> But this workaround is not very good, since the topology of my virtual
> network has been changed both on physically and logically.
>
> I want to know when will they get together well? the previous versions are
> okay.
> Before that, I will not use zones any more to deploy my services as if I am
> using a linux box.

I think there may be a bit of misunderstanding around here:

1) VirtualBox as a hypervisor does only capture the ethernet
    frames destined for the MAC address of its virtual adapter
    and forwards these frames into the VM, at least it is so
    in the Bridged Mode where the VM's NICs are exposed to
    the external LAN. This works differently on different host
    OSes, and for OpenSolaris hosting there is a documented
    requirement to use dedicated Solaris VNICs for each VM NIC.
    It does work differently on Solaris 10 (no VNICs) though,
    and I am not certain how - perhaps promiscuous mode is used?
    I am not sure why it worked for you before - seemingly it
    shouldn't have ;) Maybe you did have promiscuous networking
    enabled all the time somehow?

    Also you might want to explore different networking modes
    for VirtualBox - such as its NAT or host-only network
    (which I think you've also tried using already).

2) Local zones on your OI VM can use "exclusive" or "shared"
    networking. In exclusive more you dedicate a NIC in the
    guest OS to the zone (perhaps by creating a VNIC, or by
    using a VirtualBox NIC). In shared mode you basically
    create an alias IP address on an existing NIC - and use
    its MAC address, so that can work with VirtualBox well.

3) It is possible to create a "host-only LAN" within OI,
    where one of the zones (usually global) would NAT the
    local zones (with exclusive IP stacks) to/from external
    LAN, using its one external NIC and one IP/MAC-address.
    See my instructions here:

http://wiki.illumos.org/display/~jimklimov/Using+host-only+networking+to+get+from+build+zones+and+test+VMs+to+the+Internet

> or, are there any providers can serve people the solaris/illumos hosting
> and servers?

You could ask Joyent, from those I know via Internet reading :)
Maybe other big illumos contributors have similar services?..

> I need a real machine to develop, deploy and research on,
> finally I wish I can make some contributions for the project.

That is most positive ;)

HTH,
//Jim Klimov