[OpenIndiana-discuss] Access to ZFS viz CIFS from windows regularly hangs.

John McEntee jmcentee at stirling-dynamics.com
Thu Jun 28 13:57:45 UTC 2012

Ok, and update on my progress as I have not fixed it yet.

The domain controller the OpenIndiana server is connected to  had problems
with the file replication, I cleared the cache and it fixed that problem.
The occurrence of the CIFS server on OpenIndiana dropped dramatically, but
still exist. I found and ran the Microsoft environment IT health check tool,
that had problems contacting another domain controller, stopping the tool
from running (WMI errors), if fixed those and now the toll runs fine with no
significant errors. (complains about the network config of couple of
pre-production exchange servers). This seems to have reduced the hangs even
more.

This week most the users are on a training course so it is not being heavily
used either, but I have a couple of users doing a tcpdump/snoop/wireshark to
a ringbuffer so I can hopefully get a packet trace.

What I have noticed is an ulimit -a returns

core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited
open files                      (-n) 256
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 10
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 10240
max user processes              (-u) 29995

Is the open files going to cause CIFS a problem, 256 seems a bit low, could
easily hit that limit if it is shared amongst all the users.

I also have 2 scripts running every minute via cron (from a linux box). One
copies a 10 MB file via cifs the other via nfs, neither have been delayed
for more than 5 seconds, normally completes with 1 second. These are done to
their own zfs file systems at the moment, but I can foresee having to point
them at the production filesystem if it does not detect the freezes that the
users report.

John