[OpenIndiana-discuss] Access to ZFS viz CIFS from windows regularly hangs.

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Jun 28 14:13:55 UTC 2012

2012-06-28 17:57, John McEntee wrote:
> What I have noticed is an ulimit -a returns
>
> core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited
> data seg size           (kbytes, -d) unlimited
> file size               (blocks, -f) unlimited
> open files                      (-n) 256
> pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 10
> stack size              (kbytes, -s) 10240
> cpu time               (seconds, -t) unlimited
> max user processes              (-u) 29995
> virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) unlimited
>

> Is the open files going to cause CIFS a problem, 256 seems a bit low, could
> easily hit that limit if it is shared amongst all the users.

Note that the limits are per-process (wherever there are OS limits,
they are usually unreachably high), and these represent what limits
your shell has - from system defaults and/or its profile. While a
root user can raise the limits, unprivileged users can only lower
them.

For processes started with initscripts (and this likely holds true
for SMF method scripts) the non-standard ulimits were set in the
script. This might be the case, say, for a script which starts your
Samba server, or more frequently for webservers and J2EE appservers
(each network socket needs a file descriptor). Lack of descriptors
should manifest in the logs or stderr as inability to open files.

I am not sure if this is relevant for Kernel CIFS at all, but you
can try to tune its SMF start method, and/or see if similar settings
can be done with "projects", privileges and other Solaris stuff.

HTH,
//Jim Klimov