[OpenIndiana-discuss] Office apps unable to write to ZFS over CIFS

Martin Frost me at cs.Stanford.EDU
Sat Jun 30 23:00:37 UTC 2012

Thanks to all for the replies.  The Oracle Solaris documentation here:

  http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/819-5461/ftyxi/index.html

says:

    The primary rules of ACL access on a ZFS file follow:

    * ZFS processes ACL entries in the order they are listed
	in the ACL, from the top down.

    * After an allow permission has been granted, it cannot be denied
	by a subsequent ACL deny entry in the same ACL permission set.

And my 'allow' was deliberately placed before the 'deny':

              owner@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
           everyone@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:fd-----:deny

And indeed *Windows* is allowing the owner to write files in such
directories in the OI ZFS filesystem.

But Office under Windows does not allow that, though it does allow
reading files there (despite the "deny" of all read permissions for
everyone@, which of course the above documention says should be
ignored, as should the denial of write access).

(Office on MacOS X doesn't have this problem.  It's happy to write
such files despite the second line saying 'deny', though if the 'deny'
is the first line, Office on MacOS X does properly fail to read or
write the file.)

If I remove the "everyone@:...:deny", Office under Windows lets the
owner write the file.  It appears that non-owners still cannot read or
write such files, despite my having removed the "everyone@:...:deny",
so I'm satisfied that things are still protected as needed.

So Windows and Office on Windows -- both created by Microsoft --
interpret these ACLs differently.  Oh well.

Thanks again for your help.

Martin