[OpenIndiana-discuss] Using Openindiana with IBM TS3100 tape library

Lauri-Alo Adamson lauri.adamson at andmevara.ee
Tue Mar 6 14:54:06 UTC 2012

Paolo Marcheschi <paolo.marcheschi <at> ftgm.it> writes:

> But  is the system able to see the device ?
>
> see that with the following command from root :
>
> prtconf -v
>
> Paolo
>
> On 03/ 6/12 06:45 AM, Lauri-Alo Adamson wrote:
> >

> > paolo marcheschi<paolo.marcheschi<at>  ftgm.it>  writes:
> >
> >> Hi I'm interested in your experiment, but unfortunately I do not have a
> >> LTO5 connected to an openindiana host.
> >>
> >> However it seems that the library is not recognized by the driver, have
> >> you tried to probe the correct devices ?
> >> search for a file that is on /usr/kernel/drv/IBMtape.conf.
> >> from the solaris read me
> >> ftp://ftp.cac.psu.edu/mirror/devdrvr/Solaris/IBMtape.README :
> >> "
> >>
> >> 6) Add the entries up to target 255 in IBMtape.conf
> >>      The new IBMtape.conf will help IBMtape driver to probe those devices
which
> > are mapped
> >>      over target 15 by HBA driver.
> >>
> >>      For new install, the new IBMtape.conf with a SCSI target range from 0
> > 255 is copied to
> >>      the directory of /usr/kernel/drv/.
> >>
> >>      For the update, IBMtape driver doesn't overwrite the old IBMtape.conf
in
> > the directory of
> >>      /usr/kernel/drv during its installation. To use the new IBMtape.conf,
the
> > user needs to
> >>      backup the original file of IBMtape.conf in /usr/kernel/drv, copy
> > IBMtape.conf from the
> >>      directory of /opt/IBMtape to /usr/kernel/drv, and modify the new
> > IBMtape.conf according
> >>      the original file of IBMtape.conf. It will take effect after the
system
> > reboot or IBMtape
> >>      driver is reloaded in the kernel.
> >>
> >> "
> >>
> >> Greetings
> >>
> >> Paolo
> >>
> > Hello !
> >
> > Many thanks for your answer ! I looked my /usr/kernel/drv/IBMtape.conf file
an
> > discovered that my IBMtape.conf already has these lines as you described in
your
> > letter. Here is is last line of my IBMtape.conf file.
> >
> > name="IBMtape" class="scsi" target=255 lun=1 block_size=0 buffering=1
> > immediate=0 trailer=0 sili=0;
> >
> > Lauri-Alo Adamson

Hello !

Many thanks for your help. I try to find out is openindiana knowns something
about IBM TS3100 device.

I installed to my server lsiutil executable  sas2ircu and looked that can i
found. I executed command:

./sas2ircu 0 DISPLAY
LSI Corporation SAS2 IR Configuration Utility.
Version 5.00.00.00 (2010.02.09)
Copyright (c) 2009 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved.

Read configuration has been initiated for controller 0
Controller information
  Controller type                         : SAS2008
  BIOS version                            : 7.19.00.00
  Firmware version                        : 10.00.05.00
  Channel description                     : 1 Serial Attached SCSI
  Initiator ID                            : 0
  Maximum physical devices                : 125
  Concurrent commands supported           : 3712
  Slot                                    : 1
  Segment                                 : 0
  Bus                                     : 16
  Device                                  : 0
  Function                                : 0
  RAID Support                            : No
IR Volume information
Physical device information
Initiator at ID #0

Device is a Sequential access device
  Enclosure #                             : 1
  Slot #                                  : 3
  State                                   : Standby (SBY)
  Manufacturer                            : IBM
  Model Number                            : ULT3580-HH5
  Firmware Revision                       : B6W1
  Serial No                               : j0
  Protocol                                : SAS
  Drive Type                              : SAS_HDD
Enclosure information
  Enclosure#                              : 1
  Logical ID                              : 500605b0:046db120
  Numslots                                : 8
  StartSlot                               : 0
SAS2IRCU: Command DISPLAY Completed Successfully.
SAS2IRCU: Utility Completed Successfully.

That was fine I discovered logical ID and use  prtconf -v to find out is solaris
discovered this logical id.

I found it into two places First :

pci1014,3ca, instance #0
  System software properties:
  name='ddi-vhci-class' type=string items=1
  value='scsi_vhci'
  name='mpxio-disable' type=string items=1
  value='yes'
  Driver properties:
.
.
.
    name='base-wwid' type=int64 items=1 dev=none
  value=500605b0046db120
  name='firmware-version' type=string items=1 dev=none
  value='10.0.5.0'
.
.
.

iport, instance #1
                    System software properties:
                        name='ddi-vhci-class' type=string items=1
                            value='scsi_vhci'
                        name='mpxio-disable' type=string items=1
                            value='yes'
                    Driver properties:
.
.
.
name='initiator-port' type=string items=1 dev=none
                            value='w500605b0046db120'
.
.
.

I 'm not very familar with solaris/openidiana - but i think that that mpt_sas
driver communicates with IBM TS3100.

Lauri-Alo Adamson