[OpenIndiana-discuss] Could not setup LDAP for SAMBA

IVO GELOV (CRM) ivo at crm.walltopia.com
Tue Mar 6 16:59:02 UTC 2012

My native language is not English - so it is possible that am not able to properly
describe the situation. I am patient and will repeat some key moments from my setup:

1) I have run ldapclient and it produced the following files:

/var/ldap/ldap_client_cred:
======================
NS_LDAP_BINDDN= cn=admin,dc=domain,dc=com
NS_LDAP_BINDPASSWD= my-secret

/var/ldap/ldap_client_file:
====================
NS_LDAP_FILE_VERSION= 2.0
NS_LDAP_SERVERS= 127.0.0.1
NS_LDAP_SEARCH_BASEDN= dc=domain,dc=com
NS_LDAP_CACHETTL= 0
NS_LDAP_AUTH= simple
NS_LDAP_SEARCH_SCOPE= one
NS_LDAP_SEARCH_REF= TRUE
NS_LDAP_SERVICE_SEARCH_DESC= passwd: ou=users,dc=domain,dc=com
NS_LDAP_SERVICE_SEARCH_DESC= group: ou=groups,dc=domain,dc=com
NS_LDAP_SERVICE_SEARCH_DESC= shadow: ou=users,dc=domain,dc=com

2) I have added "ldap" to nsswitch.conf

/etc/nsswitch.conf:
==============
passwd: files ldap
group: files ldap

3) I have issued "svcadm restart network/ldap/client"

4) I have entries in /etc/passwd

unix:x:104:101::/home/unix:/bin/bash
boss:x:105:101::/home/boss:/bin/bash

5) I have entry in /etc/group

depart::101:tmcdos,unix,boss

6) I am expecting "getent passwd administration" to show info about the LDAP user account
"administration" with password "samba" and same UID/GID as the entry UNIX in /etc/passwd

7) However, getent does not show anything - neither error message nor the expected information

8) And I do not know what is wrong in my setup - because the OS does not tell me the error.
How would I debug the problem ? Probably there is some gotcha, which is not covered in the
popular HOWTOs.

All I wanted is for SAMBA to require different password for each share, but all files
and directories to be owned by a single local OS account (actually 2 accounts - "unix" and "boss")

I am thankful for all your responses - but unfortunately, I am still far from reaching my goal :(