[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problems using the SuperMicro X8STi-F MB IPMI/BMC and Supermicro IPMIView20, anyone?

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Fri Mar 9 22:08:13 UTC 2012

HELP!

I'm trying to use the IPMI management processor of the SuperMicro
X8STi-F motherboard, and I am having lots and lots of problems.

Basically, connections and logins to the IPMI succeed or fail seemingly
at random, one minute login just happens instantaneously and all parts
of the management interface, including the KVM-over-LAN interface, is
available, then all attempts at logging in fail for hours on end. And
then it all just starts up again. Sometimes touching the Web GUI of a
troublesome IPMI makes it run well for three or four logins on IPMIView,
and then it fails again.

FW has been upgraded to the last version, and properly, too, according
to the most exacting procedure imaginable..

I'd like to hear of any and all experiences, good or bad, anyone here
might have had with these embedded IPMIs.

I'm talking to Supermicro in Holland, and they are taking me seriously
it seems.

Searching for "Get Device ID Failed" and IPMIView20 on Google does find
some reports of problems similar to mine, but they don't show much in
the way of root causes or fixes.

Hans J. Albertsson

P.S. I'm trying to use the KVM-over-LAN of the embedded IPMI for
installing and configuring w/o having to sit in a noisy and cold
subterranean concrete cell.... Inconsistencies and instability makes
that a difficult task.