[OpenIndiana-discuss] Spontaneous server reboots

Martyn Klassen mklassen at imaging.robarts.ca
Mon Mar 19 13:08:17 UTC 2012

I have an OI server running oi_151a2 that is experiencing random reboots. I cannot seem to find any indication of why they are occurring in any of the logs, and there are no core dumps even though I have core dumps enabled.

# coreadm
     global core file pattern: /var/cores/cor.%f.%p
     global core file content: default
       init core file pattern: core
       init core file content: default
            global core dumps: enabled
       per-process core dumps: enabled
      global setid core dumps: disabled
 per-process setid core dumps: disabled
     global core dump logging: disabled

I suspect it may be related to the disk system as my observation is that the reboots tend to occur more frequently when the system is under heavy io load, but am not sure how to go about diagnosing the problem without any log information. Any suggestions on how to get more diagnostic information would be appreciated?

The system is an Intel Server Board S5520UR in a SR2612URR chassis. The main disk pool uses an LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i controller and consists of twelve (12) 3TB Constellation ES.2 drives in a RAID Z3 configuration and using a DDRDrive for the zlog. The system/root pool is two Intel 160GB SSD disks in a mirror configuration.

Martyn Klassen