[OpenIndiana-discuss] Spontaneous server reboots

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Mon Mar 19 13:16:53 UTC 2012

Martyn Klassen wrote:
> I have an OI server running oi_151a2 that is experiencing random reboots. I cannot seem to find any indication of why they are occurring in any of the logs, and there are no core dumps even though I have core dumps enabled.
>
> # coreadm

Core dumps are related to faults in user-level processes.  If you're
seeing reboots, user-level processes are (almost certainly) not to blame.

Instead, you're very likely seeing kernel panics.  The utility you want
is "dumpadm".  Typically, messages related to panics will show up in
/var/adm/messages, and the files are dumped in /var/crash.