[OpenIndiana-discuss] Shutdown that never completes

Robbie Crash sardonic.smiles at gmail.com
Tue May 1 22:49:48 UTC 2012

This is an oft-reported issue that I recall traces its roots back to
dropping SPARC hardware down to firmware mode. It also causes VMs to peg
their CPU. The only workaround I've seen anyone come up with is from this
list a few weeks ago which was given here:
http://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2012-April/007732.html,
but the next reply said it wasn't working for them.

I don't know that there's a real fix for it though.

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Andre Kruger <Andre at ak47.co.za> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I installed a new machine with oi151a (headless server installation used),
> but oi never switches the mashine off after "init 5". It does everything it
> is supposed to do up to the point where is says, "syncing file
> systems...done", but then never turns the hardware off.
>
> "init 6" on the other hand reboots the hardware successfully after the
> "syncing file systems...done" message.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards

Seconds to the drop, but it seems like hours.

http://www.eff.org/
<http://www.eff.org/>http://creativecommons.org/