[OpenIndiana-discuss] Shutdown that never completes

andre at ak47.co.za andre at ak47.co.za
Wed May 2 06:41:24 UTC 2012

I did some troubleshooting and came up with the following.

If I
have a monitor connected to my box then it always gets stuck at the
"syncing file systems...done" message.

However, if I don't have a
monitor connected and I ssh to the machine, init 5 successfully shuts
down the system. Pressing the power button still leaves the machine
stuck at the "syncing file systems...done" message though. It's really
weird.

I later found the thread that you are referring to and tried it
and it works for me. I just haven't tried this while I have a monitor
connected. But after adding this tweak pressing the power button also
shuts down the system successfully (with no monitor connected).

On
02.05.2012 00:49, Robbie Crash wrote:

> This is an oft-reported issue
that I recall traces its roots back to
> dropping SPARC hardware down to
firmware mode. It also causes VMs to peg
> their CPU. The only
workaround I've seen anyone come up with is from this
> list a few weeks
ago which was given here:

http://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2012-April/007732.html
[5],
> but the next reply said it wasn't working for them.
>
> I don't
know that there's a real fix for it though.

4:56 PM, Andre Kruger wrote:

>> Hi I installed a new machine with
oi151a (headless server installation used), but oi never switches the
mashine off after "init 5". It does everything it is supposed to do up
to the point where is says, "syncing file systems...done", but then
never turns the hardware off. "init 6" on the other hand reboots the
hardware successfully after the "syncing file systems...done" message.
Any ideas? Regards ______________________________**_________________
[1] http://openindiana.org/
[3]**mailman/listinfo/openindiana-**discuss

Links:
------
[1]
mailto:OpenIndiana-discuss@**openindiana.org