[OpenIndiana-discuss] no external connectivity on link

Jason Matthews jason at broken.net
Wed May 2 05:32:01 UTC 2012

> ifconfig -a shows the aggregated link as well and all indications
> are that it's fine

Ifconfig doesn't do that. Try using the LACP related commands instead. Your
output should look like like the following

root at db031:~# dladm show-aggr -L
LINK        PORT         AGGREGATABLE SYNC COLL DIST DEFAULTED EXPIRED
aggr0       igb0         yes          yes  yes  yes  no        no
--          igb1         yes          yes  yes  yes  no        no

root at db031:~# dladm show-aggr -x
LINK        PORT           SPEED DUPLEX   STATE     ADDRESS
PORTSTATE
aggr0       --             1000Mb full    up        0:1e:67:21:95:20   --
            igb0           1000Mb full    up        0:1e:67:21:95:20
attached
            igb1           1000Mb full    up        0:1e:67:21:95:21
attached

notice how the ports are attached, up, in sync, not defaulted, and not
expired.

> I can ping it.

Do you mean it can ping itself?

> However I cannot ping anything else on or off the network
> (like 192.168.1.1 or yahoo.com)

This is likely because the LAG is down. What does the switch say?

> once I get this working I plan to enable link trunking on my
> switch to take advantage of the faster speeds possible with this setup.

Umm, you have to configure both sides, the host and switch if you are going
to have network connectivity.

I wrote this article about PXE booting systems on switches configured for
LACP but it a part of it walks you through how to setup LACP on the host and
the switch (assuming you have juniper) --
http://broken.net/openindiana/how-to-pxe-boot-systems-on-lacp-using-juniper-
switches/

Does that help?

j.