[OpenIndiana-discuss] no external connectivity on link

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Wed May 2 06:13:07 UTC 2012

On May 1, 2012, at 8:41 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:

> hello list
>
> I have attempted to enable link aggregation on my oi 151 box using the
> command dladm create-aggr -d e1000g0 -d e1000g1 1 then I plumbed it
> with an address of 192.168.1.200 and echoed 192.168.1.1 >
> defaultrouter
>
> I noticed that my /etc directory did not have the traditional solaris
> hostname.e1000g0 and hostname.e1000g1 files representing my links that
> you would typically expect. But I created a file with the command echo
> 192.168.1.200 > hostname.aggr1
>
> ifconfig -a shows the aggregated link as well and all indications are
> that it's fine
>
> dladm show-aggr shows the link aggregation and I can ping it..however
> I cannot ping anything else on or off the network (like 192.168.1.1 or
> yahoo.com)
>
> can someone offer a tip on what I'm doing wrong and how to resolve the issue?

Typical error is an incorrect netmask. Default netmask for a class-B network is 255.255.0.0.

> once I get this working I plan to enable link trunking on my switch to
> take advantage of the faster speeds possible with this setup.

Are you prepared for no-improvement? Ethernet link aggregation often disappoints
people looking for more performance using IP.
 -- richard

--

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com
SCALE 10x, Los Angeles, Jan 20-22, 2012