[OpenIndiana-discuss] no external connectivity on link

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Wed May 2 11:27:06 UTC 2012

>Ifconfig doesn't do that. Try using the LACP related commands instead. >Your output should look like like the following…notice how the ports are >attached, up, in sync, not defaulted, and not expired.

Ok, thanks for that. Here's what those commands you mentioned show:

root at openindiana:/export/home/bluethundr# dladm show-aggr -L
LINK        PORT         AGGREGATABLE SYNC COLL DIST DEFAULTED EXPIRED
aggr1       e1000g0      yes          no   no   no   no        no
--          e1000g1      yes          no   no   no   no        no

root at openindiana:/export/home/bluethundr# dladm show-aggr -x
LINK        PORT           SPEED DUPLEX   STATE     ADDRESS            PORTSTATE
aggr1       --             1000Mb full    up        0:25:90:b:34:0     --
            e1000g0        1000Mb full    up        0:25:90:b:34:0     attached
            e1000g1        1000Mb full    up        0:25:90:b:34:1     attached

so, it looks like the ports are attached, up, NOT in sync, not
defaulted and not expired. Apparently I need to be able to get them in
sync, but I'm not sure  how to do that.

>> I can ping it.

>Do you mean it can ping itself?

Yep, that's what I was trying to say. The host can ping itself and as
of now I can ping the aggregated address from the host itself and from
another host on the network.

I basically left it alone overnight and when I went back to it this
morning I could ping external hosts from this machine and ssh into it
on that aggregated address whereas last night I could not which is why
I emailed the list! :)

Maybe it just takes a little while to work after it's setup?

> once I get this working I plan to enable link trunking on my
> switch to take advantage of the faster speeds possible with this setup.

>Umm, you have to configure both sides, the host and switch if you are going
>to have network connectivity.

Yep!

I'll have a look at your LACP article and see what I can do. Thanks
for your input!

Thanks and best regards,
Tim

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Mark <mark0x01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> And don't forget to configure or disable the firewall.
> That's what my last issue with lack of connectivity turned out to be.
> It may be on and blocking by default.
>

> On 2/05/2012 6:13 p.m., Richard Elling wrote:
>>
>> On May 1, 2012, at 8:41 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
>>
>>> hello list
>>>
>>> I have attempted to enable link aggregation on my oi 151 box using the
>>> command dladm create-aggr -d e1000g0 -d e1000g1 1 then I plumbed it
>>> with an address of 192.168.1.200 and echoed 192.168.1.1>
>>> defaultrouter
>>>
>>> I noticed that my /etc directory did not have the traditional solaris
>>> hostname.e1000g0 and hostname.e1000g1 files representing my links that
>>> you would typically expect. But I created a file with the command echo
>>> 192.168.1.200>  hostname.aggr1
>>>
>>> ifconfig -a shows the aggregated link as well and all indications are
>>> that it's fine
>>>
>>> dladm show-aggr shows the link aggregation and I can ping it..however
>>> I cannot ping anything else on or off the network (like 192.168.1.1 or
>>> yahoo.com)
>>>
>>> can someone offer a tip on what I'm doing wrong and how to resolve the
>>> issue?
>>

>> Typical error is an incorrect netmask. Default netmask for a class-B
>> network is 255.255.0.0.
>>

>>> once I get this working I plan to enable link trunking on my switch to
>>> take advantage of the faster speeds possible with this setup.
>>

>> Are you prepared for no-improvement? Ethernet link aggregation often
>> disappoints
>> people looking for more performance using IP.
>>  -- richard

GPG me!!