[OpenIndiana-discuss] Making OI work on Lenovo thinkpad T520 (few issues)

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sat May 5 03:09:35 UTC 2012

On 05/ 4/12 07:45 PM, Sunay Tripathi wrote:
> So I spent a little bit more time and turns out that BIOS
> ships with display set to Optimus mode (some special support
> for windows7).

Optimus is actually for switching between two different graphics
chips on the fly (a lower-power/performance once when you're not
doing heavy 3D, and a power-sucking performance daemon when it's
time to play games).   If the lower-power one is the Intel integrated
graphics in a Sandy Bridge or similar chipset, then it's not surprising
the nvidia driver doesn't work when you disable it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com