[OpenIndiana-discuss] Making OI work on Lenovo thinkpad T520 (other than wifi - everything works now)

Sunay Tripathi tripathi.sunay at gmail.com
Mon May 7 08:42:42 UTC 2012

On 05/ 4/12 08:09 PM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 05/ 4/12 07:45 PM, Sunay Tripathi wrote:
>> So I spent a little bit more time and turns out that BIOS
>> ships with display set to Optimus mode (some special support
>> for windows7).
>
> Optimus is actually for switching between two different graphics
> chips on the fly (a lower-power/performance once when you're not
> doing heavy 3D, and a power-sucking performance daemon when it's
> time to play games).   If the lower-power one is the Intel integrated
> graphics in a Sandy Bridge or similar chipset, then it's not surprising
> the nvidia driver doesn't work when you disable it.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Optimus

Alan, thanks for the pointers. I mis wrote that Display in BIOS
needs to be set to integrated. It actually needs to be set to discrete
as you pointed out integrated is for Intel graphics which we don't
have support for.

Anyway, the help section is pretty good so easy choice can be made.

The reason it was still not working for me was the device id. Although
I am running 294.49 driver downloaded from Nvidia website, the
device id for the card on my machine is "pciex10de,1057" which
I needed to add manually. Run prtconf -pv and search for 10de
(Nvidia vendor ID) to find the actual instance and run update_drv
with that.

So now only missing piece is wifi.

Cheers,
Sunay

PS: Just for others trying the same, when you download the Nvidia
driver, the run script doesn't quite work since it can't uninstall
the older driver so run it with -x option to extract the packages
and manually do pkgadd for the 2 packages.