[OpenIndiana-discuss] Massive numbers of man files missing on 151a4

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Sun May 6 18:42:06 UTC 2012

actually it is much more of a problem than just the below man files.

all of /usr/local has disappeared, and select trees and single files.

The complete story:

I run various things from directories in /usr/local, and I know for a
fact they all worked perfectly this morning.

For some reason I thought I'd try upgrading OI151a3 to a4, and the
updatemanager application listed a set of problematic packages:
Imagemagick, drupal6, joomla and Bash-completion.
The last three were leftovers overlooked when I discarded the contrib
repository, and had directory property conflicts with other packages. I
removed those three by clicking one at a time and uninstalling them thru
the packagemanager.

Imagemagick had a massive set of conflicts listed between itself and the
sfe version. I removed the sfe version thru the package manager.

After this I ran updatemanager and rebooted into the new BE. There I ran
pkg fix, just to check what it looked like. After that I tried man pkg,
which failed.
Then all the services I ran out of /usr/local were gone.

I rebooted back into the previous BE, but it's all gone there, too.
It's also gone from the snapshot created by the update manager this morning.

It's very little actual data missing. Just a few hundred MB.

I have most of it available in a month-old snapshot of /, but that thing
with directory permissions got me thinking maybe it's all there, just
hidden somewhere... ???

Suggest a rational way to get all the data back!
Or some interesting way, at least.

I'm nearly comfortable running zfs as an admin, but no expert, and not
very conversant with the inner structure of zfs pools or data sets.
I haven't ever really had to restore data from snapshots in an active
root pool.