[OpenIndiana-discuss] unable to start nfs

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Mon May 7 18:39:54 UTC 2012

Hi, and thanks for your reply.

No, it seems that the nfs server is definitely not working at this point:

root at openindiana:~# svcs -x nfs/server
svc:/network/nfs/server:default (NFS server)
 State: disabled since May  7, 2012 01:57:11 PM EDT
Reason: Temporarily disabled by an administrator.
   See: http://illumos.org/msg/SMF-8000-1S
   See: nfsd(1M)
   See: /var/svc/log/network-nfs-server:default.log
Impact: This service is not running.

I had a look at the services associated with NFS and made sure that
they were all started.

root at openindiana:~# svcs -l nfs/server
fmri         svc:/network/nfs/server:default
name         NFS server
enabled      false (temporary)
state        disabled
next_state   none
state_time   May  7, 2012 01:57:11 PM EDT
logfile      /var/svc/log/network-nfs-server:default.log
restarter    svc:/system/svc/restarter:default
contract_id
dependency   require_any/error svc:/milestone/network (online)
dependency   require_all/error svc:/network/nfs/nlockmgr (online)
dependency   optional_all/error svc:/network/nfs/mapid (online)
dependency   require_all/restart svc:/network/rpc/bind (online)
dependency   optional_all/none svc:/network/rpc/keyserv (online)
dependency   optional_all/none svc:/network/rpc/gss (online)
dependency   optional_all/none svc:/network/shares/group (multiple)
dependency   optional_all/none svc:/system/filesystem/reparse (online)
dependency   require_all/error svc:/system/filesystem/local (online)

The only one that appears to be different is the network shares group.

And after making sure that the associated services were running, I am
still unable to start NFS and seeing the same error message:

root at openindiana:~# svcadm enable -r svc:/network/nfs/server:default
svcadm: svc:/milestone/network depends on svc:/network/physical, which
has multiple instances.

I'm just wondering what other troubleshooting steps might help lead to
a solution..

thanks

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM, James Carlson <carlsonj at workingcode.com> wrote:
> Tim Dunphy wrote:
>>  root at openindiana:~# svcadm enable -r nfs/server
>> svcadm: svc:/milestone/network depends on svc:/network/physical, which
>> has multiple instances.
>>

>> Now, I do have two physical links that I am currently using to create
>> a link aggregate:
>
> That message has nothing to do with the network interfaces.  It's a
> message about the ":default" and ":nwam" instances of network/physical.
>  It's a service, not link, message.
>
> The simplest thing to do is to ignore the message, but that's probably
> not the right answer here.
>
> I think the right answer, assuming that NFS isn't working for you, is to
> look into what's wrong with the service.  Start with "svcs -x" and "svcs
> -l nfs/server".
>
> --
> James Carlson         42.703N 71.076W         <carlsonj at workingcode.com>

GPG me!!