[OpenIndiana-discuss] moving existing rpool onto larger disks, in-place: zpool/zfs ashift/blocksize musings

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at branneriet.se
Mon May 14 07:00:11 UTC 2012

I have an OI151a4 system with old 500GB disks in a mirrored pair for the
rpool, and no further disks.
For various reasons I'd like to expand the available space by replacing
the 500GB disks with 2TB disks.
I'd like to do this IN-PLACE, but I see a few problems in that the new
disks are naturally 4K blocksize, but falsely report 512 byte blocksize.

First: Can you ever efficiently migrate a zpool with ashift=9 to a 4k
block disk by just adding the new disk as a 3rd mirror? Regardless of
what blocksize the disk reports?

Second: Can you manage the problem of the false blocksize report in a
situation like this?

Third: How can one check to see  what parameters (like ashift( a
particular pool uses?