[OpenIndiana-discuss] moving existing rpool onto larger disks, in-place: zpool/zfs ashift/blocksize musings

Bryan Iotti ironsides.medvet at gmail.com
Mon May 14 07:28:54 UTC 2012

To obtain the ashift value for a pool, try

# zdb <NAME OF POOL> | grep ashift

I've had a terrible experience with my 2TB WD Caviar Green, only recently
improved by separating it from the mirror I had and using it as a long term
backup unit after formatting with a modified version of zpool, called
zpool-12, which sets the proper ashift value.

I think you could get around this issue to use the disk for a normal pool,
where the whole disk is formatted using EFI, but rpool does not use this
setup and instead creates a Solaris partition containing the filesystem. I
hope I am wrong inthis, since 4k drives are becoming more common and can
apparently be a real b### to work with if you want some performance out of
them.

All of this to better support Windows XP (rolleyes)

Bryan