[OpenIndiana-discuss] sata hot plug problem (ahci?) + openindiana crash

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue May 22 19:29:21 UTC 2012

2012-05-22 23:01, Matthieu Paindavoine wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've trying to insert a sata hd in an enclosure, but it doesn't seem to be recognized by the os.
>
> Low and behold, I used '#>  cfgadm -al', and only usb devices come up, nothing sata related.
>
> I have several sata hard drive in that machine, all of them contributing to a zpool which work perfectly fine.

Well, if your disks were indeed used by the BIOS in IDE mode,
the SATA driver is not used, and you'd likely see the pci-ide
driver names like "cmdk" in your other disk names.

AFAIK the disks should be recognized automagically upon boot,
and if not - try running "devfsadm -Cv" to detect devices
and add/remove the links in /dev dir.

>... and switched from IDE to AHCI
> I then restarted the machine. I got the booting screen for about 5 sec, and then the machine reboots.
> I switched back from AHCI to IDE, and this time the machine booted fine.
>
> So.... I'd like to know what needs to be done to be able to swap sata drive in that machine...

This usually means that your root/boot disk was also changed
from IDE to AHCI, and this does interrupt the boot procedure.
The lowlevel issue is that the driver and device names for
disks change, rendering invalid those names used in the rpool
config carried over to the miniroot image (boot_archive).

There are workarounds, likely posted in archives of zfs-discuss
list and many other sources. If I google anything good up, I'll
post a link here :)

HTH,
//Jim Klimov