[OpenIndiana-discuss] Re : sata hot plug problem (ahci?) + openindiana crash

Bill Sommerfeld sommerfeld at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 22 20:38:37 UTC 2012

On 05/22/12 13:12, Matthieu Paindavoine wrote:
> I did not follow your solution though, as I just choose to simply reinstall OpenIndiana, it's so fast, and I didn't have anything on the machine yet.
> I can see my drives with cfgadm -a sata.
> I can not yet see a newly inserted plugged HD, but this might be a hardware issue, I'll have to run some test with other drives, other bays...

I've seen irregular behavior with sata hot plug recently on oi_151a3

what I've observed so far is that a hot plug and configure into a port that's
initially empty at boot seems to work ok, as does a unconfigure and unplug.

Once you've unplugged once, a second hot plug operation into the same port
appears to succeed, but I/O to that disk hangs; the disk is stable after a reboot.

I haven't had a chance to dig into this further.  My experience was with a
SuperMicro X8SAX motherboard.

						- Bill