[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to test ethernet throughput?

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Wed May 23 15:35:55 UTC 2012

On May 22, 2012, at 1:41 PM, Robbie Crash wrote:

> Gaming iperf you can get close to theoretical maximums on wire connections,
> but if you're just on a 10/100 network looks liek you've got everything
> working properly.  Real world performance (for me) sits at around 400Mb/sec
> for medium (4-100MB) files, 600Mb/sec for large (100MB+) files. Files under
> 4MB are effectively instantaneous.

For short runs, the TCP window size guess has a big impact. If it is not quite right
on both the client and server (too big or too small), then there will be reduced
performance until it adjusts. This really isn't gaming, it is the reason why long runs
are preferred for benchmarks. Or, as many benchmarkers will attest, a run < 1 minute
isn't useful.
 -- richard