[OpenIndiana-discuss] installing oracle 11g

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Wed May 23 22:20:51 UTC 2012

On 05/23/12 03:16 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
>> I don't want to sound insulting, but is X running?
>> Are you on console or logged in over ssh? If ssh, is xforwarding enabled? If
>> so, do you have some sort of X client on your side? Do other X clients work
>> (eg. xload)?
>
> That's fine. I'm logged in at the console, not ssh'd in and yes x is
> working fine.
>

> I'm running as the oracle user
>
> [root at openindiana:/tank/iso] #su - oracle
>

> And interesting that xload gives an error when I try to run it as the
> oracle user.
>
>  I've tried setting a few variables for DISPLAY:
>
> -bash-4.0$ export DISPLAY=":0.0"
> -bash-4.0$ xload
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> Error: Can't open display: :0.0

The default X setup, on pretty much every OS made in the past twenty years, is
that only the user who logs into X can open windows on the display.   Some Linux
distros do include a PAM module to forward this authorization on su, but OI does
not.

The simplest workaround is to grant the Oracle user permission before you su to
it:
	xhost +si:localuser:oracle

A variety of other solutions are possible as well, as a google search for terms
such as "xauthority" and "xauth" will turn up.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com