[OpenIndiana-discuss] installing oracle 11g

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Wed May 23 22:16:27 UTC 2012

> I don't want to sound insulting, but is X running?
> Are you on console or logged in over ssh? If ssh, is xforwarding enabled? If
> so, do you have some sort of X client on your side? Do other X clients work
> (eg. xload)?

That's fine. I'm logged in at the console, not ssh'd in and yes x is
working fine.

I'm running as the oracle user

[root at openindiana:/tank/iso] #su - oracle

And interesting that xload gives an error when I try to run it as the
oracle user.

 I've tried setting a few variables for DISPLAY:

-bash-4.0$ export DISPLAY=":0.0"
-bash-4.0$ xload
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: :0.0

-bash-4.0$ export DISPLAY="localhost:0.0"

-bash-4.0$ xload
Error: Can't open display: localhost:0.0
-bash-4.0$ export DISPLAY="openindiana:0.0"

-bash-4.0$ xload
Xlib: connection to "openindiana:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: openindiana:0.0

I would think that either my hostname or localhost would work, but not so far.

-bash-4.0$ hostname
openindiana

I don't have DISPLAY set in a resource file so I'm just exporting it
on the command line before trying to install oracle.

Thanks
Tim

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Jason Matthews <jason at broken.net> wrote:

> I don't want to sound insulting, but is X running?
> Are you on console or logged in over ssh? If ssh, is xforwarding enabled? If
> so, do you have some sort of X client on your side? Do other X clients work
> (eg. xload)?
>
> If console, who are youlogged in as? What user are you running the installer
> as?
>
> Why don't you logout, log back in, and show us the value of $DISPLAY (after
> describing how you interact with X).
>
> Thanks,
>
> j.

GPG me!!