[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS encryption

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Tue May 29 09:52:04 UTC 2012

if you are storing snapshots off site, you can easily encrypt those
snapshots ... however that is different from zfs encryption (as found
in Solaris 11) which I don't believe is even on the roadmap for
Illumos ...

Are you planning on storing the "backups" as a live ZFS file system?
will the remote server belong to you, on a site that you own?

We replicate our zfs pools (as live accessible filesystems) over a
Secured VPN to several distributed sites around the country, but they
are all stored at locations owned by us, and none directly connected
to the internet, so encrypting the filesystem is not so important.

Jon