[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS encryption

Armin Maier ma2412 at gmx.de
Tue May 29 13:03:44 UTC 2012

The plan is to store the backup as live ZFS filesystem, the final
concept is not ready yet. What we know is that the remote location is
not owned by us. At this time we are discussing the two possibilities of
buying hardware ourself, host it at a company and share the storage over
NFS to place VMWare disk Images on it, the second option is that the
company offers us Diskspace, so we do not have to buy hardware ourself
but have to pay a higher rent. We first have to test if this solution
offers sufficient performance, or if it would be better to run a VM at
the remote company and replicate the filesystem between servers.
What did you mean with easily encrypt snapshots, how could that be done?