[OpenIndiana-discuss] Gnome and the future

Milan Jurik milan.jurik at xylab.cz
Sat Nov 3 15:55:40 UTC 2012

Hi,

On út, 2012-10-30 at 13:27 -0400, låzaro wrote:
> Hi all, as many people don't wanna see, gnome future is like a submarine
> without roof. So, my question. What about make the new gnome's fork as
> default desktop enviroment, just like is making linux mint. OI always
> have the step in the next time. That project look like very good with a
> lot of good toys...

at first - why to make new fork if there is one already - MATE ?

at second - currently I am the only one paying attention to (read as
"working on") JDS consolidation with Gnome for OI, I did not see many
volunteers.

at third - the last Gnome 2 with some additional patches from MATE is
good enough for now, my plan is to stay on this way for some time if
possible.

at forth - I hope somebody will go and work on Xfce port, which is
currently unmaintained in SFE because I have no spare time for that.
There are few known issues and some updates are needed. And I think Xfce
would be good enough replacement in some time

at fifth - Oracle team did some work on Gnome 3 on top of Solaris, they
have to publish it if they will distribute it. I am not saying I will
help with Gnome 3 on top of OI but somebody else could do that.

Please, do not fork anything, work on needed bits and share. Either in
Illumos or Userland or JDS or SFE or documentation etc.

Best regards,

Milan