[OpenIndiana-discuss] SFE multimedia players and codecs

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Nov 4 08:58:24 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-04 09:27, Milan Jurik wrote:
> it would be good to say which packages you installed.

I'll try to make a list when I'm next booted into OI, but in general
I just clicked on everything that looked like a codec or player ;)

One frequent error response in particular is that no H.264 codec is
available, while the "x264" package is installed. I guess that some
path to the library should be registered in some config file or some
bunch of symlinks, so that a player "sees" that - and maybe that was
not updated by the package installer?

 > Yes, vlc is broken
> in SFE encumbered because there is no stable spec for it and the old one
> pushed to the repo is broken on newer systems.
>
> I use mplayer from SFE encumbered without issues. That is the one I care

Ok, "works for you" is a good data point that I can try to pursue ;)

> about, the rest depends on own maintainers (mplayer2 and vlc). After
> finishing JDS/Gnome updated in OI I publish more gstreamer plugins so
> totem will be able to play more things.

Thanks for info,
//Jim Klimov